I originally futzed around with website design from about 2009-2014. I was inspired by the glut of Pokemon fansites floating around the internet at the time, though my website inevitably grew to include my other interests, creative endeavors, and whatever the hell else I felt like throwing in there. Here are some old homepages that I salvaged:
In contrast, I made this website without any direction or purpose in mind because experience has taught me that I am physically incapable of compartmentalizing everything going on inside my head. The name Kalechips was chosen mainly because it's silly and I was amazed the domain wasn't taken.
Me, the person(?)
I am a creature with the common name of Kale. I'm a grad student residing in Colorado. Specifically, I am a mathematician pretending to be an ecologist (or the other way around depending on who you ask), because somehow my undergraduate institution decided I was fit to be released into the wild with degrees in both. My research is on the modelling of flower patterns, as well as the effect that the patterns have on bee attraction.
For a bit more information on me and my interests, refer to these userboxes.
- My favorite insect orders are Hymenoptera, Coleoptera, and Mantodea, but all bugs are good and picking 3 orders made me break out in hives.
- I listen to music on a 6th generation iPod classic that I've had since they were still new. It is holding up pretty well after 15 years, which I can't say for many pieces of technology produced in the last decade.
- I wanted to be a pathologist at one point. My interest in dead things has persisted.
- I played percussion in school, but it didn't stick because percussion instruments are worth more than my life is. I can dream.
- My television consumption is limited to the Great British Baking Show and nature documentaries.
- Hablo español, pero no puedo prometerte que será bueno! Spanish was my first language, but living in English-speaking society has eroded that considerably. I still understand it perfectly well.
Characters I like
Your dominant hues are green and yellow. There's no doubt about the fact that you think with your head, but you don't want to be seen as boring and want people to know about your adventurous streak now and again.
Your saturation level is higher than average - You know what you want, but sometimes know not to tell everyone. You value accomplishments and know you can get the job done, so don't be afraid to run out and make things happen.
Your outlook on life can be bright or dark, depending on the situation. You are flexible and see things objectively.
Order Coleoptera: The beetles. "There is a story, possibly apocryphal, of the distinguished British biologist, J.B.S. Haldane, who found himself in the company of a group of theologians. On being asked what one could conclude as to the nature of the Creator from a study of his creation, Haldane is said to have answered, 'An inordinate fondness for beetles.'"
You may be "common," but you're one in a million. Perhaps you get overshadowed by your louder, brighter friends, but everyone knows if they need a hand- whether it's moving or trimming down the mold in their yards, you're the one to call. Be bold, little roly-poly, and come out of your shell. The world awaits.